THE NEW NIMBUS 405!
Nimbus 405 Coupé
The flagship has arrived!
The new Swedish built Nimbus 405 Coupé is the largest boat in the Nimbus Coupé Series, which includes the 335 Coupé and 365 Coupé. The 405 Coupé is built using the same “sidewalk” concept as the award winning 365 Coupé and which was voted “European Power Boat of the Year 2012”
Timeless beautiful lines meet strict design and clever functionality
The boat has many similarities to her smaller sisters but offers several new features; Nimbus Design Team has added several interesting aesthetic and functionally integrated details. These include twin touch screens at the helm, room for five to ride facing front, a new D-pillar with integrated ventilation, wholly glazed aft deck door, electric powered table on the aft deck and a “granny hatch” that conceals a mains power plug on the stern. Other innovations include newly designed engine room ventilation in the hull sides with powered extractors, galley with ceramic gas hob and dark composite worktop, 120 litre capacity fridge plus extra cool storage in pull-out drawers beneath the saloon sofa and much more.
– “We would never build a boat that is not considered practical in her natural element. Although we always try to make her as beautiful as possible. It is a balancing act. It is always easier to design beautiful lines if you don’t need to take functionality into account. Our customers are very conscious and they appreciate our designs because they understand that we build crafts that are actually used at sea and not only look good in pictures or at boat shows. That is the secret of our success,” said Joacim Gustavsson, head designer at Nimbus Boats Sweden AB.
What is “sidewalk”?
“Sidewalk” is an asymmetrical deck layout where the side deck along the starboard side is extra wide and provides generous freedom of movement. It becomes convenient and enjoyable to move about on-board from bow to stern, and easy to get on and off the boat along the entire starboard side. Maximum use is made of the interior volume, allowing the cockpit, saloon, lower deck and cabin to be larger than would otherwise be the case in a boat of this size. An important feature of the Nimbus sidewalk concept is the large flush fitted sliding door to starboard. The sliding door provides quick access when laying alongside and enables manoeuvring the boat from a standing position on the side deck. The sidewalk concept also allows the use of the aft deck for various activities. And on the foredeck the extra space is used to integrate a large sun deck as a natural feature of the boat’s design.
– “We focus on the conscious customer with experience of the sea who requires a large portion of comfort and safety. What is interesting about our coupé concept is that it has such an “all round” quality, where socialising and other on-board activities can be combined with excellent long cruising characteristics. The 365 Coupé in particular has enabled us to reach out to both new and younger customers internationally. It has become apparent that our coupé boats are not just for the older generation who prioritise functionality and comfort, but also for families and for younger people who want both fun and to voyage securely and safely,” said Jonas Göthberg, marketing manager, Nimbus.
All laminate in the boat is vacuum injected at the Nimbus boatyards in Mariestad, Sweden. Everything from hull, deck, superstructure, interior laminated surfaces and hatches. “Divinycell” is used in the sandwich laminate, providing excellent insulation properties from both heat and cold and transports condensation away very efficiently. “Innerliner” and “headliner” are built entirely of glass fibre. The result is easy-to-clean, smooth surfaces in the stowage lockers, stowage areas, sides and ceiling. The vacuum injection method, in combination with high quality material and multilayer woven glass fibre matting, result in a hull and laminate that is insulated, strong and light.
– “We consciously focus on those who set high standards, and we normally use double moulds (inner and outer moulds) to provide solid, high quality finishes. This provides the optimum feeling of quality and is easy to keep clean and smart. It was always taken for granted that we should use vacuum injection technology, not only because of advantages in quality, but from the environmental standpoint,” said Jonas Johansson, manager of the Nimbus boatyard in Mariestad.
A further indication of quality in the new Nimbus 405 Coupé is the standing bulkhead glued into the “innerliner”, hull and deck. Not only does this increase torsional strength still further, it practically eliminates all irritating creaks and rattles. The boat is unusually quiet and feels remarkably safe and solid.
Other qualities and functions
Polyurethane glued windows in the superstructure and a large wrap around windscreen provide a very contemporary look, exceptional stability and a quiet saloon. The helm has been re-modelled and the instrument panel is fitted with twin 12 inch plotters. Visibility is exemplary owing to uncluttered surfaces (nothing gets in the way), matt finish anti-reflecting materials and integrated folding wipers. Large flush-fitted sliding door at the helm and large sliding glass roof with integrated sun blinds.
Seating for four to five facing front. Divided into two seats at the helm and two-three seats the reversible passenger sofa (the reversible passenger sofa was developed in the seventies for the Nimbus 26 and has been constantly developed and refined ever since).
Much effort has been utilised to maximise function and atmosphere of the lighting aboard the boat in both interior and deck areas. LED lighting is used throughout with dimmers for selected areas. Red navigation lamp at the chart table.
The saloon has an open Scandinavian layout with large flat surfaces and is light and airy, roomy and modern, but made cosy at the same time by special lighting, wood fittings and attractive seating and cushion covers. The beautifully finished joinery in the saloon and cockpit exude a wonderful feeling of handcraft and quality. The large U-sofa seats 6-8. The dining table folds down into a cocktail table with glass holders, making the saloon a handy place for socialising.
Concealed ventilation provides a better inside climate and reduces damp and humidity owing to good air circulation in all cabins.
The module designed galley (60CC) allows customised installations such as micro, electric hob, dishwasher, choice of ovens (electric or LPG). The galley is fitted with a fan that can be installed in the upper cupboard above the hob.
The interior of the lower deck is a surprisingly spacious and well-fitted area. The bulkhead is upholstered in light fabric that increases the feeling of space while absorbing sound. There are three two berth cabins, one master cabin with ensuite bathroom, the other two cabins sharing a shower and head. Light flows in through the master cabin skylight and provides a feeling of space. The light flowing down between the instrument panel and windscreen is a new feature of the 405 and lends the lower deck area a light and roomy ambience. An extra wardrobe is fitted on the lower deck.
The boat has a generously sized and comfortable aft deck with an extra-large, L-shaped sofa. The electrically powered folding table converts into a sunbed. The after deck shares the same level as the bathing platform and saloon.
The large, sturdy bowsprit is combined with a stainless steel pulpit for safe and easy boarding and/or loading. Anchor box hatch in the bow. Integrated bow and stern windlass in stainless steel frame. Easy to get at and reduces the risk of stubbed toes.
Drivetrain and engine compartment
The drive shaft with tunnel system is a well proven technology and has several advantages. The straighter shaft angle makes for a more efficient power line and thereby lower fuel consumption and more speed. Better course stability at low speeds and shallower draught.
“Boat Trim System” is standard and functions like trim tabs but with higher efficiency, speed and is automatic. An upgrade to Volvo Penta Interceptor System is also available.
Automatic mechanical ventilation in the engine room reduces the temperature and extends the life length of the engines and provides the best conditions for problem-free boat ownership.
Generous sized, strongly constructed aft stowage, aluminium lined and fitted behind the engines.
In all, the 405 Coupe is a modern, solid and functional boat perfect for an uncomplicated and enjoyable life at sea and causing a minimum of environmental impact. The 405 is built in Sweden at the Nimbus yards in Mariestad. The world premiere will be held in Düsseldorf on the 18th of January 2014 and in Sweden at the Göteborg Boat Show on the 31st of January.
- Lmax: 13,33 m
- Lh: 13,16 m
- Width max: 3,86 m
- Bh hull width: 3,75 m
- Weight MLCC: 8550 kg
- Max. no of passengers: 12 pers
- CE category: B
- No. of berths: 6
- Fuel tank: 2×500 l
- Fresh water tank: 2×200 l
- Hot water tank: 40 l
- Septic tank: 135 l
- Start battery: 1x12V 80Ah
- Service battery: 7x12V 80Ah
- Service battery Heavy Duty (extra): 4x12V 80Ah
- Battery charger: 230V AC
- Shore power: 230V 16A
- Volvo Penta 2xD4-300 221kW (600 hp)
- Volvo Penta 2xD6-370 272 kW (740 hp)
For more information please contact Jonas Göthberg, Marketing Director, Nimbus Boats Sweden AB.
Phone +46 31-726 77 15
Cell +46 70-535 58 28
High resolution images
The images below are available for download in high resolution (JPG).